Pages

Monday, November 9, 2020

Monday Musings



This past weekend housed a moment that will be spoken of for generations. Just like individuals reflect on where they were when Kennedy was shot, or when they learned of the attacks on September 11th, I believe we will all retain where we were the moment CNN projected Joe Biden as the President Elect. I had just stepped off Metro North, accompanied by two friends, when we heard a fellow passenger utter the  simple phrase "it's over". 

"It's over". So much is encompassed in those two words. The pain and plight and marginalization of so many, is over. Our interest in anything pertaining to Nevada, is over. The denial of science, is over. The sleepless nights following election coverage, is over. The fear over the future of a woman's right to decide what to do with her own body, is over.  The devision is over. For a moment. Because, while that moment was an ending to so much turmoil, it is only the beginning of our fight. On Saturday, good triumphed over evil, but we have to ensure it continues to do so every single day. 

I have grown up in a political family. My great grandfather was the Governor and U.S. Senator of Maryland. My grandfather was a delegate to the United Nations. My father is the greatest living expert on John F. Kennedy. I love it. I love politics because of the fight. I love politics for what it represents, at it's core, the profound desire to make our country a better place. Some want to make it a better place for all, some want to make it a better place for them, but the desire to make it better is what unites us. I am not under the false assumption that everyone cares about politics as much as I do, and I would probably acknowledge that's a healthier place to live. However I do believe that a base level of knowledge is our civic duty. 

New York is oftentimes the epicenter of a lot. It was the belly of the beast of the pandemic, it felt the weight and pain of those speaking out against systemic racism, and because of this it was one of the locations that expended the greatest exhale on Saturday. To be here for that moment, to witness the crowds chanting and cheering and celebrating, was something I will never forget. For one day the honking of horns wasn't out of annoyance, for one day we all stood still to listen to our first female Vice President speak, for one day, we were united and it was absolutely gorgeous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment