Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The Mask



There are so many parts of life since March we have all come to accept as our new reality; shaking hands is a thing of the past, we will never again blow out birthday candles, your handbag's contents are incomplete without hand sanitizer, and we now all sport a new accessory everywhere we go. We discussed facial coverings way back in March, right after they became widely encouraged (imagine where we'd be today had they been nationally mandated, but I digress...). The day our statewide mandate went into effect I remember daydreaming about what The New York Times Style Section would look like had Bill Cunningham still been with us. A collage of how New Yorkers expressed their style via their masks. 

 We're now seven months in and it seems that facial coverings are going to be a big part of our lives for the foreseeable future. Like the scientists studying the virus, we're all gotten a little more knowledgeable about what works. They're very personal and have to find a happy medium between being comfortable, effective, and, of course, fashionable. Finding the right balance can be tricky, there are those, like the gaitors, that might be comfortable but are scientifically proven to be far less effective (and, in my opinion, are ugly as hell). There are the girls that wear bandanas or Hermes scarves that are essentially useless. Call me crazy but if I'm going to go through all the trouble of wearing a mask, I'd like it to...I don't know...work? 

So after a great deal of personal trial and error, which is still an ongoing process, I thought I would share the masks I have found work for me (and that just so happen to also be cute). 


No comments:

Post a Comment