Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Monday Musings



I'm sitting in a railway station, got a ticket for my destination...or at least I will be in 36 hours! The autumn chill is once again in the air, the promise of pumpkin pie is on the horizon, and the crunch of recently fallen leaves beneath my feet is in my imminent future. With the world in the current state of which it is, most people are anxious for some holiday cheer and merriment and have opted to indulge in yuletide celebrations a bit earlier this year. While conceptually I understand the inclination, I am a very vocal supporter of every holiday receiving its proper attention, particularly this one. 

I've always loved Thanksgiving. I love any day that marks the onslaught of things to come, and that is what Thanksgiving is, the commencement of the "most wonderful time of the year" and our final swan song to autumn. So much of what I love about the holiday will be missing this year; there will be no late night socializing with acquaintances from high school on Wednesday evening, our table will be much quieter this year with only three voices there to make conversation, and no experienced chefs cooking the sustenance to which we have grown accustomed (the cooking has be delegated to me- yikes). 

However, in a year filled with so much turmoil and disappointment and uncertainty, the blessings are all the more prominent. I respect the enthusiasm to initiate the Christmas season, but don't let it be at the detriment of a holiday that is perhaps more important than ever before. Remember the poetry of a day that unites us all at approximately the same time eating virtually the identical meal, to pause and show gratitude for all that we have. While I know this day will be hard and different for so many, just like the promise of the holiday season that is almost upon is, we are on the precipice of the liberation from this nightmare. Allow that to provide you with cheer of what's to come and gratitude for what has past. 

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment