Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Quarantine Book Club




In an attempt to keep my hands and mind busy, so I don’t inadvertently eat my way through all my quarantine snacks, I’m taking this time on house arrest to try and make a dent in the books I’ve been meaning to read. So far this year, my reading productivity has been abysmal, so far I’ve only made it through two novels. I said The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides and Conviction by Denise Mina. I recommend the former and recommend skipping the latter. 

At the moment I’m halfway through Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes and it’s the perfect, breezy, sweet love story for these trying times. It’s about a woman who, the night she plans on leaving her husband, finds out he is killed in a car accident. In an attempt to make ends she unexpectedly finds herself living with a former Yankee baseball star who has suddenly lost his ability to pitch. The story follows their budding friendship (and romantic relationship) and how they help one another overcome their respective tragedies. 

Next up, Deep Water by Patricia Highsmith. This is a psychological thriller and is already being adapted into a movie staring my love Ben Affleck and his flavor of the month Ana de Armas. It’s about a husband who lets his wife have affairs to avoid a divorce but suddenly the men start ending up dead. Sounds so juicy and I can’t wait for the movie. 

Finally, I’ve been shopping the bookshelves of my parents home and found a book someone had given me but I never read, The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner (also the author of In Her Shoes and Best Friends Forever). I think it’s a compilation of short stories (i.e. super quick and easy to get through) so I’m looking forward to diving into that one too. 

Please share what books you’re reading while home, or the ones you’ve recently read and enjoyed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment