Pages

Friday, January 1, 2021

Fresh Content for a Fresh Start



Happy first day of 2021! Did you ever think we'd make it? It feels like it was a decade all rolled into one year. Mother Nature gifted us a dreary, rainy, day to kick things off and I, for one, am not angry about it. I love an excuse to curl up and indulge in guilty pleasure entertainment. So if, like me, you plan on doing the same I thought it apropos to share some of the content I've been consuming lately.


Streaming

Since I choose to acknowledge my lack of self control in regards to binging, I try very hard not to get too invest in shows that require a substantial time commitment. Because of this, vacations are the optimal time for me to really immerse myself in new streaming content (and Netflix, and the like, are always more than happy to oblige with new releases that coincide). Sans family gatherings and visits with friends, I've had even more time to enjoy the latest debuts and here are my recommendations. 

The Flight Attendant: HBO Max 

A wild ride about an alcoholic flight attendant who spends a romantic evening with a charming (and super hot) passenger, only to wake up to discover him murdered. In an attempt to clear her own name, she frantically tries to piece together what led to his demise. 

On Pointe: Disney +

I've been fascinated by ballerinas my entire life and this docu-series following the students at The School of American Ballet in their lead up to the annual production of The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center is the perfect escapism for this time of year. I used to walk past the school everyday when I lived on the Upper West Side so it was so fun to get to see what went on behind the closed doors. 

A Teacher: Hulu 

I began binging this show over Thanksgiving break and this week the final episode of the miniseries was released. It's a very disturbing, fictional story of a female teacher seducing a teenage student and the fallout of their actions. I was on the fence during the progression, but the last installment sold the series for me. 

Death to 2020: Netflix

Easily the best thing I've watched over break. This laugh out lout satirical mocumentary on all the trials of 2020 will have you in stitches. It tapped some of our favorite faces (Hugh Grant is having a hell of a year!) and encapsulated the insanity of the past 365 days flawlessly. 



Reading

My parents know the way to my heart and gifted me several books that have been on my wishlist, for Christmas. For some reason, my dedication to reading stalled somewhat in 2020 (perhaps the state of the world was just too gloomy for me to focus?) but I'm determined to get right back up on the horse this year. Here are some of the titles I'm reading/ intend on reading this month. 

The Thursday Murder Club: Richard Osman

This month's book club selection is so incredibly charming, about a group of retired individuals that meet weekly to try to dissect and solve crimes. 

Is This Anything: Jerry Seinfeld

This has been at the top of my list for the past two months and I'm so excited to finally laugh my way through all of Seinfeld's discarded material. 

Older, But Better, But Older: Caroline de Maigret and Sophie Mas

From the authors of one of my favorite books How to be Parisian Wherever You Are, comes their latest examination of what French women think, and feel, as the years go by. 

Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman: Sam Wasson

A deep dive into my absolute favorite film, Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

Ask Again, Yes: Mary Beth Keane

My most recent conquest, this book took me an embarrassingly long time to get through but not for a lack of interest. The story follows two families, living next door to one another, and the way their lives intertwine over several decades. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment