Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Book Club


Photo Credit: @ bradfordhouseokc

What a delinquent little book club member I have been lately! My sincerest apologies, by I come baring goodies. At the start of this wild and crazy summer I set a personal goal to read a book a week so I have a plethora of recommendations (and advice on works to skip) to accompany your SPF and socially distanced beach umbrella. 

Normal People by Sally Rooney: With the premiere of the Hulu series, and the smash success of Conversations with Friends, it felt like everyone was talking about Rooney’s best seller. Ever the one to cave to peer pressure I purchased and dove in. Can’t say I fully grasp the hype surrounding this one (I’m also one of the only people who didn’t enjoy Celeste Ng’s Little Fires Everywhere), it felt pretty pedestrian and unoriginal. I would skip tossing this into my L.L. Bean Boat Tote. Rating-2.75 

The Lies That Bind by Emily Giffin: Giffin is hands down one of my favorite authors, and not just because she is kind enough to correspond with me via Instagram. Her novels revolutionize the term “chick-lit” with her compelling characters and topical plots, they are always a “can’t put down” for me. It’s no surprise her latest work has already been optioned into a mini series, full of juicy revelations and twists it’s easily her best book in years. Rating- 4.25 

The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand: If you’re not able to make it to the water’s edge, the next best thing is a vacation via Hilderbrand. I’m on a quest to make it through her body of work one novel at a time. I enjoyed this one, I wouldn’t say it was my favorite, there were a few too many characters but found the storyline interesting enough to keep me engaged. (I’m saving her latest release 28 Summers, for my family trip next month!) Rating- 3.5 

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle: So far, this would be my #1 recommendation of the summer. Initially I thought it would be just another run of the mill beach read but was so surprised by it’s depth and emotion (I honestly found myself sobbing on The Jitney). Rating- 4.75

The Guest List by Lucy Foley: A Reese Witherspoon book club selection, and my first selection for my personal book club, I enjoyed this thriller a great deal. Admittedly I did find it rather predictable, but still found the driving plot riveting enough to keep me engaged. Rating- 3.75 

If you have any recommendations I’d love to hear them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment