Pages

Monday, September 6, 2021

Best Laid Plans





My topiary died. It was a seemingly insignificant event for a seemingly insignificant object of decor and yet it feels metaphorical. When last we spoke I made a vow, I was going to dedicate myself to carving out a unique space in this tiny corner of the internet. I was going to invest in web design and spend hours crafting groundbreaking material. I was simply going to reinvent. 

In some ways, I kept my promise. I drafted an abundance of content and I even tried to make it somewhat original (and, I hope, slightly entertaining). But then...

Best laid plans, if I ever wrote a memoir perhaps that's what mine would be named. Life is obstacles, life is pain, life is change and grief and laughter and long weekends. But sometimes we miss it. Sometimes we're so busy simply wading through whatever is overwhelming us at the moment that we miss that that specific moment is what life is about. I realized I don't want to miss any more time. I'm always waiting for the storm to end, for a spare moment, for everything to be exactly how I imagined it to be. But that day may never come, and even if it does, it’s fleeting. It’s the ‘in the meantime’ that makes life worth living. 

I did have plans. I had plans to make this space perfect. I had plans to call my grandmother every Wednesday for the rest of my life. I had plans to keep my topiary alive. But then life happened. 

I've shared, over the years, that Labor Day has always been a personal significant benchmark. So many of my most transformative moments have been encapsulated in this annual three day weekend. It's always felt like far more of a fresh start than January 1st ever has. I figure I could keep waiting, waiting to share carefully curated content that can rival other revolutionaries in the field, I could hold off until I find an affordable, agreeable web designer, I could pause until everything is perfect...or I can simply surrender. As someone far wiser than I once said “perfect is the enemy of good”.

So while my inclination is to focus on the fact that it's not exactly how I hoped to be reunited, I'm reminding myself that the important part is that we are reunited. And for me, that’s good enough. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with Labor Day being a fresh start... maybe it's the school schedule still ruling my life, but I've always preferred starting the year in the fall as opposed to some completely arbitrary date in the middle of the winter. I guess we do need something to break up the monotony of winter, but I prefer to start now, too! :)

    ReplyDelete